Sunday, May 31, 2009

Poem: Martinez my baby sister



Martinez my baby sister




This morning I heard that bird singing
I felt sick like a frog in the dryness
I looked for humidity for living
But no one could bear my restlessness

The bird was as small as you were
Maybe the latest from the wings of her mother
Like you, the last from those hands of our mother
That held you to climb the branches of life

I picture you smiling
See your beautiful dimples
Your lips hide the shimmering teeth
Your eyes light up with life

This bird sings your song
It traces your beautiful face
I thought it was you in the space
To wake up the memories all along

The Sambaza fish on our supper table
Myths and legends of the Shi tribe
The Wednesday gardening
The family evening prayer

The little bird was singing a lyric
Comparable to your music
It brought me to tears as I remembered
The sharing time I missed with family

Martinez my little sister
I remember you at Easter
A time that no one can forget
A time that no one can regret

Despite millions of miles away
Which makes us far from sight
I love you my sister
Yes, I miss you Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment